Facebook  Twitter  RSS Feed  Donate

Why So Serious? - Home of the SGC.

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

[GUIDE] Dead Island Tips, Tricks, & Cheats!

Post subject: Dead Island Tips, Tricks, & Cheats!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:05 pm 
Admin

Site Admin

Games: 107
Mic: Yes
PSN ID: Xanj
360 Gamertag: Zanj
Steam ID: Xanj

Wala: 34686

Here I will post any helpful tips and guides on Dead Island that I can find.

Auto-save Glitch FAQ:
Spoiler:
Source:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/622414-dead-island/60290040

What is the Auto-Save Glitch?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Auto-Save glitch is a bug which affects players who play online. After a random amount of time your game will stop saving its progress and your PS3 Trophies will no longer be obtained. All progress made after receiving this glitch is erased once you quit to the PS3's XMB screen. Your save in the PS3 "Saved Data Folder" will also confirm this. Your Level, Chapter, and Play Time listed will not be what it was before you quit the game.

How do I get this glitch?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Auto-Save Glitch only occurs if you play the game online. It appears to be directly connected to the game asking if you want to 'join' another players game. Dead Island pegs you as an 'Online Player' even if your current settings are set to <Single Player> as you still continue to receive these 'joining' messages. The following are the various online connection settings and whether or not they receive the Auto-Save Glitch:

Game Type <Single Player>
PSN: Online
Auto-Save Bug: YES
Comment: Your game keeps connecting to other players online forcing the glitch.

Game Type <Single Player>
PSN: Offline
Auto-Save Bug: NO
Comment: Sign out from the Playstation Network or remove your internet cable.

Game Type <Cooperative>
Game Visibility <Playstation Network>
Auto-Save Bug: YES
Comment: You run the risk of glitchdom. Sleep with one eye open and be very afraid.

Game Type <Cooperative>
Game Visibility <LAN>
PSN: Online
Auto-Save Bug: NO (maybe)
Comment: A LAN match prevents you from connecting to other players while also allowing you to remain signed in to the Playstation Network. May not be 100% effective in preventing save bug, but signing out of PSN is.

How do I know if my current game is fine?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Whenever the game auto-saves you'll see small text on the left side of the screen saying "Game Saved." At the exact same time a red bio-hazard symbol will appear at the top right of your screen showing that the game is indeed saving. This bio-hazard symbol also appears during "Check Points", when you start missions, when you complete missions, quitting to the main title screen, and even during random intervals. This bio-hazard symbol indicates that your PS3 is currently updating your saved game data on your PS3. Every time the game saves its progress this bio-hazard symbol will appear. This is what you want to see at all times.

2. Whenever you fulfill the requirements to unlock a trophy you'll see small text on the left side of the screen saying "Trophy Obtained: [name of trophy]." At the same time you'll see the same trophy 'ping' on the top right of the screen. This lets you know the trophy has been unlocked and is saved on your PS3 system. This is what you want to see at all times.

3. Whenever you search for a coop game using [<Cooperative> <Playstation Network>] settings you'll be given a list of rooms to pick and choose from. This is how the coop runs under normal circumstances. You have not been affected by the glitch.

The Three Tell-tale Signs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. When you see the "Game Saved" message you will no longer see the red bio-hazard symbol on the top right indicating the PS3 is trying to save. In fact, once you are struck by this glitch you will never see the bio-hazard symbol again. The game is no longer saving progress and never will from this point forward.

2. When you complete a trophies requirement your trophy will not unlock or 'ping' at the top right. It will not be saved to your PS3. You have been struck by the glitch.

3. When you search for a coop game under [<Cooperative> <Playstation Network>] settings there will be 0 rooms to choose from. You are not too high a level nor are you in an underpopulated part of the map. You have been struck by the glitch.

All three of these things happen the moment your game is glitched. "Auto-save" glitch isn't really an accurate term because it encompasses far more then that. Immediately quit to the XMB menu the moment you experience any one of these problems as nothing you do from this point on will be saved. Keeping an eye on these three things will help you prevent a massive loss in progress.

How can you fix your save once you've been affected?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sadly, your progress has been forever lost and cannot be recovered. Furthermore when your game is glitched that character will NEVER be able to save their game again even if you turn off your PS3. However, you can fix this by setting your options to <Single Player> [PSN: Offline] and your game will continue to save properly again.

Save Corruption & How-to Avoid it:
Spoiler:
This only happens to the most hardcore completionist and item hoarders "Your Save is CORRUPTED"!!!!

I have found the source of said corruption and mentioned it a few times in other threads but i go unnoticed so i figured it needs a thread of its own.

Save corruption happens when you have too many items. but its a bit more complex than that. your specific save file has to be a certain size. if it is any larger than specified size it shows as corrupted.
<but wait Tetsuol how do you know this> Glad you asked.

some of us know of and use the dark underbelly of ps3 though that cannot be spoken of on these boards and yes i have one and yes I've altered save files directly so yes i can say its file size.

<but im not a evil pirate how does save corruption effect me?>

Well Timmy glad you asked, every time you pick up and item or buy an item or give in and item, that item is data, if you have too many items"too much data" the save hits the magic invisible counter and thus is "corrupted"

<can you prove this without discussing taboo pirate things that aren't allowed on this forum?>

Yes and so can you, its as easy as buying a ton of materials.. that's right buy a ton of mats.

step 1. get alot of money. duping or legit the game don't care how you got this money just get it

step 2. start buying a mat from a npc. keep hitting that x fast buy hundreds of the item.

step 3 watch a movie or a episode of something as you buy those hundreds of items.

step 4 save your game and exit like normal. you wont know your save is corrupted there's no in game indication unless you change screens

step 5 load your save taa daaa save corrupted all is lost forever. If save is not corrupted you didn't buy enough items or npc reloaded during purchase and you got stuck buying nothing hitting x for nothing so start again at step 1

This is guaranteed to produce a corrupted save.

To avoid this. simple, well not so simple if your like me and like to be stocked up on mats.

Make sure you never stock up on mats beyond 3 or 4, 30 stacks. EVEN if you store items on Jin having too many items will corrupt your save too so puting them in storage wont help. Don't keep old stuff and don't buy tonnes of mats.

Simple for most players and explains why it doesn't effect many, only us completionist and item hoarders.

There you go save corruption explained and how to avoid it.

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/622414-d ... d/60399291

Skull Location Guide:
Spoiler:
WARNING: Location spoilers to follow. If you're looking to play through "Dead Island" clean, stop reading now.

Scattered throughout Dead Island for Xbox 360, PS3 and the PC are five colorful and rather nasty looking skulls. Some players have scooped up one or more and forgotten about them. Others have discovered there's more to the skulls than meets the eye.

When found, each of the five colored skulls simply vanish. There's no sight of them anywhere in the player's inventory, which is why many players have written them off as nothing more than neat Easter Eggs for show only.

As some players with a keen eye for exploration and discovery have found, the skulls are willing to offer up a reward when taken to the right location to essentially activate them. To help you find all five of the skulls in Banoi, where to take them and what the rewards are, pay close attention to our Dead Island skulls locations and drop-offs guide in text and videos below.

Brown Skull

This skull is best found during the "Black Hawk Down" mission in Act 1, Chapter 3. During this chapter you'll use a manhole cover in the first bunker to access the second bunker. Here you'll find the Brown Skull on a pile of bodies just behind a curtain.

Take the Brown Skull to the coast near ID 004, on top of the small mountain/hill only accessible via wooden planks. Brown arrows along the path will show you the way.

The reward for dropping off the Brown Skull is Developer's 666 weapon recipe that will create the Left Hand of Glova. All you'll need to make sure to have is $10,000 and 5 diamonds.

Orange Skull

The Orange Skull is most easily accessed in Act 2, Chapter 6 called "Market Journey." During this chapter you'll find yourself entering a supermarket through the sewer system. Near where you turn off the steam, you'll find a room with a workbench just of a dead-end. Head the opposite direction of this room until you find some stairs. The Orange Skull is in a shopping cart just under the stairs.

You'll need to be back in the sewers to drop-off the Orange Skull at the right location. Use the sewers to enter City Hall and head into the large main room. On the left side of this room, toward the middle, is a ladder. Climb it, enter the first room on the right through a door, and put the Orange Skull on top of the pile to the left.

Your reward for the Orange Skull drop-off is the Developer's No. 1 Craft weapon recipe that creates an electrified knife. To use this beauty you'll need a battery, $10,000 and 5 diamonds.

Purple Skull

Find this skull just after the Act 2, Chapter 5 titled "Let the Waters Flow." More specifically, it's located in the "It's Our Own Fault" shrine that you enter near the church. Head through the entrance and take a left at the dead end, near where a pair of green barrels are. Keep going straight and through a gated entrance. It will get darker, but keep your eyes open for a room on the right with a high catwalk. This same room has a ladder that you'll take up to the catwalk where a chest has the Purple Skull.

In Moresby, take on the "Uninvited Guests" side quest that allows access to the abandoned house. There's a stove in the house's second floor that you'll want to use to deposit the Purple Skull.

Your reward is the Developer's No. 4 Craft weapon recipe that will build the Military Knife. It requires the usual battery, $10,000 and 5 diamonds.

Blue Skull

Remember the room where you just dropped off the Purple Skull? The Blue Skull is located in the room just across from the room where that skull was. You'll find it perched atop a cabinet shelf behind glass.

Once acquired, take the Blue Skull to where the game started and head south toward the beach. You need to be far enough along in the game until you hear Jose Garcia yelling for help. The bunker here previously locked will now be unlocked, so you can enter and take the warp inside. You'll find youself in a graffiti-filled bunker with a ladder. Take it, then use the propane tank to blow up the door to the right. The skull drop-off location will be obvious in the next room.

The Blue Skull will reward the Developer's No. 3 Craft weapon recipe for the Plaguebearer Military Knife. To build this toxic knife you'll need a battery, $10,000, 5 diamonds, AND 1 oleander.

Green Skull

Travel to the Gas Station and head directly east in search of a hill with a sand path around it. Search around the hill for a path accessible only by jumping, and find the Green Skull on the other side.

Take the Green Skull into the Supermarket to the aisle near the Surf Shop area that has toy bears. Look toward the bottom of the bears for the one where you need to drop off the Green Skull.

The Green Skull drop-off reward is the "Cr33zz Revenge For Endless Crunch" baseball bat recipe, and will set you back a battery, 5 diamonds and $10,000.

Are there more Dead Island skulls to be discovered? Not likely, but if more are discovered then I'll be sure to pass along the locations and info.

Source: http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Dead-Island-Skulls-Locations-and-Drop-Off-Guide/9501

Weapon Duplication Guide:
Spoiler:
UPDATE - Here are the four (yes four lol) ways to dupe items:
1. Throw and Drop at the same time. (Only works with throw-able weapons)
2. Throw and Sell at the same time. Then buy it back. (Only works with throw-able weapons)
3. Load checkpoint, drop item on the ground, kill yourself with a grenade, load checkpoint again before your death timer runs out.
4. Give your item to your friend in a trade and then quit the game without saving (use the PS button on the controller to quit).

Great way to make easy money or to make backups your favorite weapons.

Quick method:
1. Equip the weapon you want to dupe.
2. Look at the ground right at your feet.
3. Hold L1.
4. Press and hold Triangle, half a second later press R1.
5. If you timed it right, you'll have 2 of said weapon laying on the ground in front of you.

Alternate/slower method:
1. Equip weapon.
2. Look at the ground.
3. Hold L1 and have your finger ready to press Select(or up on the d-pad).
4. Press R1 and before the weapon hits the ground press Select(or up on d-pad).
5. Go to your inventory and drop the weapon you are throwing with Triangle.
6. If done correctly you will now have 2 of said weapon on the ground.

Duping stackable items:
"Equip a stackable item, such as cocktails, grenades, medkits, etc. Make sure you are one item under your item capacity 9/10, 13/14, etc. Make sure the item is equipped and in your hand. Then, craft the Deo-Bomb, Cocktail, or Meat Bait. You will now have two stacks of that item instead of one. Repeat this as many times as desired. Just make sure you have enough materials. Note: Make sure to use a recipe that is different from the item you are duplicating, as this glitch sometimes does not work if it is done that way. For example, do not use the Deo-Bomb recipe if you are duplicating the Deo-Bomb. This glitch was done on an unpatched version of the game."
Source: http://www.cheatcc.com/xbox360/deadislandcheatscodes.html
(check there if you want most of the collectibles' locations and blueprint locations as well)

Easy Diamonds:
Spoiler:
The video is wrong cause you can't return to that location later on, but if you haven't done that mission yet there is an easy way to farm champagne by reloading again and again while you are in that area.

Now that you know where the champagne is, next time you do that quest and are in the area simply collect all the champagne bottles and then quit/reload your game. This will cause all of the containers to respawn so you can go collect more champagne. Champagne can be turned into Svetlana for diamonds and some exp.

P.S. - The above proves the following to be true:
:DD

High-res Maps with locations:

All mods/blueprints with locations:

Will add more as needed. Hope this helps some of you enjoy this epic game even more.

:cheers:

[-----> My Gaming Setup <-----]

Item Shelf

Lola Nancy The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Grand Giveaway Gold Defiance Grand Theft Auto V The Last of US

I'm currently playing: Dragon's Crown, Battlefield 4, Dynasty Warriors 8 XLCE, Watch Dogs

View my Games

PSN Trophies  Steam  Raptr  Playfire  R* Social Club  Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dead Island Tips, Tricks, & Cheats!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:32 pm 
Admin

Site Admin

Added Auto-Save Glitch FAQ.

:up:

Item Shelf

Lola Nancy The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Grand Giveaway Gold Defiance Grand Theft Auto V The Last of US

I'm currently playing: Dragon's Crown, Battlefield 4, Dynasty Warriors 8 XLCE, Watch Dogs

View my Games

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:00 pm 
Admin

Site Admin

Twitter Update says the real PS3 patch is being worked on! https://twitter.com/#!/deadislandgame/s ... 3602664448
:yush:

Item Shelf

View my Games

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:51 am 
Admin

Site Admin

FYI - If you are worried about the autosave bug, I have heard you can check it by changing your control method from analog to digital and visa-versa. It should autosave when changing your control option in this way, so it is another way to force a save.

Item Shelf

View my Games

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:53 pm 
Admin

Site Admin

Added info on Save Corruption and how to avoid it. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/622414-d ... d/60399291

Item Shelf

View my Games

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:09 pm 
Admin

Site Admin

Added Hi-res maps for Resort, City, and Jungle locations. These maps include most collectibles and other important stuff like mod blueprints.

:cheers:

Item Shelf

View my Games

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]